Sunday, August 14, 2011

Leaving the land of the of Kip Keino and Kemboi

    Since Sunday was my last day in Eldoret I decided to break with the Kemboi Maratona training plan and go for an easy run, figuring there was no point in taking a day of in Eldoret when I would be in Nairobi that night. Since Kemboi wasn't running I decided to run up past the garbage heap, a run I hadn't done in almost a week since I had been running with Kemboi. I thought it would be crazy if I could somehow run into David up there, but I wasn't holding my breath (except when I was running past the burning piles of trash). I was surprised and encouraged with how good my legs felt, and it was a beautiful day for a run. A lot of the regulars I knew along the route weren't at their usual posts since it was Sunday, but there were still a couple of kids that came and ran with me but I didn't recognize any of them. I actually ran into another serious runner at the intersection of the road that shoots off to the main dirt road I always ran with Kemboi, which kind of surprised me since I hadn't seen any runners out this way. I said hi, but didn't run with him because he looked like he was moving pretty good and after a week of running with Kemboi I was in no mood to see if I could be a tough guy and hang with somebody that was way out of my league.

    When I came back I found that the plan was to head out to Tony's farm (I can't remember who his parents are) for lunch. We piled into Uncle Timothy's (called Timo by almost everyone) and headed out into the countryside, in the opposite direction from Grandy's farm. Timothy is the youngest of Patrick's aunts and uncles, and it was a fun car ride with him and a car full of the cousins joking around. The farm was pretty big, I don't think as big as Grandy's, but still big enough that I couldn't see clearly where the edges of it were. After we'd eaten lunch one of the excitable little kids that was there (probably a cousin but I have no idea who she belonged to) was handed to me and started calling me "babu". I tried a little Swahili but couldn't really say anything that made sense. It wasn't until after I found out "babu" means "grandfather," which got a good chuckle out of a couple of us, and I wonder if it was because of my beard. As we were leaving Flo told me that it was too late to go to Nairobi that night so we would just go to Kisumu with Grace, Elijah, and Elisha and the other Kisumu relatives. It was still only four in the afternoon, but so I figured Flo would just rather spend a night in Kisumu rather than going home, which I wouldn't mind myself because I liked Kisumu and it would be far better for running than Nairobi. When we got back we got packed up and Timo dropped us off in town to get a shuttle to Kisumu. We had enough people that we filled up the whole shuttle, which I was kind of relieved about in case I was trying to climb over somebody to take pictures. I grabbed a window seat though, and committed to not try to take nearly as many pictures as the way here so that I wouldn't get car sick and could just enjoy the ride more. It was a great ride, with the sunlight just before sunset making the mountains even more beautiful. We actually had a flat tire part way through, and a couple guys showed up seemingly out of nowhere to help the driver fix it, and after it was done they just walked off. I would guess the driver paid them for helping, but I don't know if they were called or if they just happened to be around to help out.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment